www.adelethiel.com

Adele Thiel is an emerging Womenswear designer with a focus in conceptual based prints and tailoring. Starting with modelling in 2007, Adele’s insights into the industry led her to pursue fashion at the University of Technology, Sydney and the highly acclaimed Central Saint Martins, London.

Inspired by the aesthetically excessive world that we live in, her designs explore innovative textiles and prints with an eclectic yet illusory style of patterning. This is then contrasted with sharp tailoring that has a subversive edge with a focus on detailing. Adele designs for a modern woman who wants to express their unique personal style through fashion that questions what is conventional.

Follow me on Instagram @adelethielfashion

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Print Preview!

Print Developments

© Adele Thiel 2013 

In the beginning stages of researching the concept behind my collection "Kalopsia", I have also started to experiment with prints through my visual inspiration to my trip to Versailles whilst also trying to incorporate the idea of illusion and creating a 'new stripe'.  Kalopsia is defined "the delusion of things being more beautiful than they really are" which fits in perfectly with my inspirations of rebellious opulence.  This print incorporates manipulated images of marble pillars, beautiful tapestries, gold encrusted walls which is contrasted against an image of a decaying, peeling wall which metaphorically shows the underlying turmoil that used to exist in the palace.  This fits into my idea of things appearing more beautiful than they are in reality due to the "unseen".  The idea of the illusion fits into this concept of decay as well as some of the three dimensional illusions of the print which aim to trick the eye as they appear to be textural but in reality they are two dimensional.    It allows the fabric to appear to have a different woven structure.  

Through my research of punk and new romantic subcultures to understand the idea of rebellion, I decided to create 'the new stripe' which is excessively seen in punk clothing.  I want to use panelling to use the stripes in completely different directions to also create an illusion and visually dissect the body.  Geometric shapes are also very important in achieving the idea of the illusion.  I manipulated the images in this print by completely changing and saturating the colours which was inspired by the New Romantic movement.  The colours were originally quite dull, so I changed them to have a more exciting edge and rebel against the norm in a sense.  

I feel like my prints relate to Fausto Puglisi's design aesthetic through their geometric and opulent nature.  He also heavily works with the idea of the stripe and bright colours.  

Overall I aim for my prints to feel quite eclectic.  I will be clashing prints which I want to at first appear to be quite excessive and overbearing, but brought together with beautiful tailoring.

No comments:

Post a Comment