www.adelethiel.com

Adele Thiel is an emerging Womenswear designer with a focus in conceptual based prints and tailoring. Starting with modelling in 2007, Adele’s insights into the industry led her to pursue fashion at the University of Technology, Sydney and the highly acclaimed Central Saint Martins, London.

Inspired by the aesthetically excessive world that we live in, her designs explore innovative textiles and prints with an eclectic yet illusory style of patterning. This is then contrasted with sharp tailoring that has a subversive edge with a focus on detailing. Adele designs for a modern woman who wants to express their unique personal style through fashion that questions what is conventional.

Follow me on Instagram @adelethielfashion

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Personal Design Profiles

In class last week we discussed "Personal Design Profiles" or "Designer's Statements" and how we would interpret our own work and creative process into a refined statement.  It is actually really difficult to put this together for the first time and to actually think about your design process! 

In order to put together this statement it is important to consider the following questions;

What do you want to say as a designer?  This question is particularly hard for me to answer however it is definitely something that will develop through designing my first collection.  Overall I hope to emphasise the importance of supporting local designers and Australian made goods and explore concepts that show a narrative with subversive undertones.

What kind of impact would you like to make?  I want to create garments that are quite overbearing and excessive through their prints but there is always a deeper meaning to be unveiled.  I want people to question my prints as to whether they are three or two dimensional through textures.  

What is your style?  My style is quite eclectic and playful through textiles but structural and tailored in garment form.  Feminine and body conscious with an edge.

What are your inspirations?  My inspirations are often derived from varying cultures and ways of life as well as opulent details in baroque architecture.

What areas of fashion and design are most interesting to you?  I have always had a strong interest in print and textiles and creating patterns.

Have fashion and design always been a part of your life?  Always - My mum has a sewing background so I started sewing from a very young age.  I studied textiles at school from the age of 12 and broke into the industry at the age of 15 through modelling.  This allowed me to develop a strong understanding of the fashion industry from a young age and see it from a different perspective.  Straight after school I became a finalist in the fifth season of Australia's Next Top Model which was an incredible insight into the industry and allowed me to develop further contacts and be a part of many shows at Australian Fashion Week.  I then decided this was the only industry I wanted to work in and started design.

Are you compelled to design, or is it more of a career skill or both?  Both - I feel as though it is a skill that is being developed as well as something I am compelled too.  

What would the world be like without designers?  Boring!! Everything requires some level of design.  

Can you talk about/write about your approach to fashion? design? life?  In my approach to fashion and textiles I aim to portray the aesthetic excess of todays world especially through print.  I approach fashion and design in a way that is very visual which is also my approach to life.  I am inspired by all things beautiful.

What are you resistant to in terms of design?  I am resistant to anything that is too overly designed.  I like garments that are quite simple in structure with small innovative details.  

Is design an action or a reaction for you?  I often design in reaction to what I am inspired too.  Sometimes I will be on the train or walking around and the smallest thing can cause a design idea to pop into my head...


What would you say about your design work in terms of the following;

Colour? Brights, unexpected, unusual, harmonious

Sophistication? Tailored minimal shapes with an edge

Visual Impact? Excessive, opulent

Pattern? Stripes, diamonds, geometrics, pattern in relation to the body

Textiles? screen printing, foiling, hand painting, laser cutting explored in a digital sense

Narrative? always incorporates a story with a muse in mind..



No comments:

Post a Comment