www.adelethiel.com

Adele Thiel is an emerging Womenswear designer with a focus in conceptual based prints and tailoring. Starting with modelling in 2007, Adele’s insights into the industry led her to pursue fashion at the University of Technology, Sydney and the highly acclaimed Central Saint Martins, London.

Inspired by the aesthetically excessive world that we live in, her designs explore innovative textiles and prints with an eclectic yet illusory style of patterning. This is then contrasted with sharp tailoring that has a subversive edge with a focus on detailing. Adele designs for a modern woman who wants to express their unique personal style through fashion that questions what is conventional.

Follow me on Instagram @adelethielfashion

Friday, May 10, 2013

Print or Fashion Designer?


Throughout this year I have had the constant battle of finding a balance between being a Fashion Designer and a Textiles Designer.  I tend to have a preferred way of designing which is quite tailored, panelled and structured which seems to be conflicting with my textiles and print designs.  It is important as a textiles designer to design your garments in a way that will showcase your abilities in print or textiles.  I have therefore had to alter my approach to my collection and will be focusing on large scaled engineered placement prints mixed with some more structured tailored pieces featuring all over prints whilst playing with direction.  The engineered prints will be featured looser styles with little shape such as maxi dresses, long shirts, tops and skirts.  The garments will then truely act as a canvas for my prints and can still be paired with my signature tailored pieces.  


© Adele Thiel 

This print is an example of what I could be putting into an all over repeat which can be incorporated into more structural garments with differing directions for different panels.

© Adele Thiel 

This print is a section of one of my Photographs from Versailles that I have altered and could be printed on a large scale and then be engineered or placed on specific panels of the body.  It can then be used to its full potential rather than breaking it up in a panelled garment.  

Many of my mentors that I have researched this year such as Mary Katrantzou and Josh Goot also design with a combination of these prints.  Now that I have changed my approach, it will be important to go back to the work of these designers and look at the techniques that they use to alter the patterns to the body.  I will also look at the types of garments that they use to show their prints to their full potential.  


No comments:

Post a Comment